Genealogy


Tusten Historical Society

198 Bridge Street  PO Box 18  Narrowsburg, NY  12764

Are Your Roots in Tusten?

Updated June 30, 2001

“From 1743 to 1798, Tusten was a part of Mamakating  from 1798 to 1853, Tusten was a part of the town of Lumberland, on 17 December 1853 Tusten township was formed from Lumberland” quote from Quinlan’s History of Sullivan County 1873.

There has not been much printed information on Tusten. Much of what has been written, is credited to the late Mr. Arthur N,. Meyers, local historian and newspaper editor.

Please click here for biographies

Click here for the Tusten 1855 Census

Click here for the Tusten 1892 Census

Click here for the 1890 Veterans Roster

Photo: Linda Slocum

 

The Tusten Settlement Church located three miles south of Narrowsburg, New York.


Resources you can find in the Tusten Historical Society

  • Microfilm --- Tusten Federal census records 1860 to 1920
  • Lutheran Church records 1868 – 1901
  • Methodist Records 1859 – 1925
  • Delaware News-Times 1929 – 1969

Extracted records from various sources:

  • Tusten Vital Statistics :
  • Births 1883 – 1925
  • Deaths 1884 – 1949
  • Marriages 1884 – 1949

New York State Census for Tusten:

  • 1855
  • 1865
  • 1875
  • 1892
  • 1915
  • 1925

Tusten Cemetery inscriptions :

  • Beaver Brook
  • Glen Cove
  • Lava
  • St. Francis
  • Tusten
  • 2 private cemeteries
  • Marriage records for Tusten persons, extracted from Wayne Co., PA Prothonatory Office in Honesdale for Tusten persons from 1885 –1946

  • Tusten Burial Permits for persons who died elsewhere and are buried in Tusten cemeteries 1933 – 1966
  • Rasmussen Burials from 1904 – 1929

Wills and deeds from 1800’s to early 1900

  • Some originals, some extracted from Surrogates Court in Monticello, New York

Obituaries

Over 20,000 obituaries extracted from area newspapers from 1880’s to present (note: not complete in early years).   We are in the process of getting them on computer for easier viewing.


Newspaper Articles

We also have extracted newspaper articles on the early history of the area, most of which came from the Delaware Valley News-Times published in Narrowsburg.

Recently we acquired local news items extracted from the Sullivan County Record, published in Jeffersonville, NY . The columns were called “Along the Delaware”. These run from late 1870’s to 1929. Then from 1929 we have the newspapers on microfilm to 1969.

These local columns give a look into the way things were in the past, telling of births, deaths, the transfer of businesses and much more on the daily lives of our ancestors.